Sick, pregnant or nursing mice work hard to overcome illness, or produce babies – so giving them extra high protein, high nutrient food will help them recover faster and stay strong and healthy. Here are some ideas for bonus food:
- Nutrigel – a delicious, nutrient-rich gel sold in pet shops
- Eggs – scrambled, boiled or even raw – egg shell is high in calcium too!
- Meat – small pieces of cooked chicken or canned tuna/salmon are best
- Yoghurt – this helps establish the gut bacteria, and it has been shown that a mouse that eats yoghurt while pregnant produces healthier babies
- Avocado – high in good cholesterol and fats (don’t give the skin as it’s toxic – only the flesh)